Thursday, August 30, 2007

Friday Feature



Two Sicilian bloggers were interviewed this week on the Sicily Guide blog and one of them was me. The other Sicilian blogger interviewed was Welshcakes/Limoncello. It was an interesting thing to do and most interesting to compare my answers to blogger Patrizia Eggleton's interview. By the way, she has a well read and visited site on Sicily.

Sicily Guide is updated daily with loads of Sicilian information. Check out both interviews on this site.

http://sicilyguide.com/blog/

If you take the time to read both, I would be interested to know if you think we live on the same Island. I think she has a city life and I have the small town life. The population in Oliveri is around 2000. I think Modica is more like 50, 000. I'd like to visit there someday.

6 comments:

Roam2Rome said...

Congrats! Nice interview! :)

I read both, and culture wise I saw some similarities...

Life experience wise, there were some differences and it might be due to the population size difference :)

Sharon said...

Thanks for taking the time to read both interviews. I think along the same lines you do.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sharon:

Believe it or not I did see plenty of similarities among our three experiences, even though I am younger and did the opposite and more common trip from Sicily to the USA. I think that it is the “expatriate” status that grants us these similarities...

I lived: 1) in the Midwest in 1995 and it was a cultural shock (Pace del Mela, my Sicilian hometown of 6000 people, is less conservative in comparison); 2) in a small college town in Massachusetts (very liberal); 3) in Washington DC; 4) and now I have been to New York for a bit over seven years (NO COMMENT about this, but I bet you can imagine...).

At the end – as you mentioned in your interview – it is all about your inner self and how you adapt to the outside world. If you are happy with yourself, you are happy anywhere. We are all human beings and there are more similarities than differences, we all want similar things.

The overall goal of my site www.SicilyGuide.com
and blog is to show all this as well as I can. Thank you again for your help!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi Sharon..loved both interviews..yes I to saw similarities..I wonder if Welshcake Limoncello has read it. Will let her know. I love reading Sicily guide...reading about Sicily is what prompted me to book our holiday there last year..No regrets whatever, and would love to go back, but for longer this time.

Anonymous said...

That was a very nice interview. Thanks for letting us know. And it was a nice introduction to that blog as well, so thank you for the reference.

Your thoughts and experiences on your life in Sicilia has been a pleasable read.

Are you done with Dolci's SICILIAN LIVES? What were your thoughts?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi. I just read your interview and was fascinated. I think you are right - a lot of the differences are probably due to the diffent sizes of our locations. But I did recognise quite a lot of what you said. I love your blog, by the way.