Monday, July 23, 2007

Campanello

Years ago a man named Russo left money to install a bell in the church tower. This bell chimes the hour on the hour...quarter hour and half hour.. again on the three quarter hour. It is also a signal to the town when Mass is going to be said in the church. It gives a certain tone that lets us know when someone is getting married and also when someone has died.

We have heard this bell too many times this year for family who have died. This morning it sounded again. One of our beloved cousins passed away in the night. He wasn't a blood related cousin. When you marry into an Italian family you automatically take the relationship of the family member. Andy and I think he was more than a blood cousin. He was a true friend and a good man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heartfelt condolences at your loss, Sharon. "A true friend and a good man" goes beyond a relative loss. I am so very sorry.

And a belated Happy Birthday to you.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Sharon; I feel the same about our bells here--which, coincidentally, were ringing to signal that mass is starting in five minutes as I read this post.

I hope you don't hear those slow, melancholy ones for a long time.

MuchachaIstmo said...

With sincere sympaty to you and your family.
Kathie & Joe in Majagual, Panama